Sunday, January 25, 2015

What They Say! - Richard Lunan

When did you start your career as a jockey?

I started my career as a jockey at Caymanas Park in 1999. I was first introduced to the sport by my father Melbourne Lunan who is a racehorse groom, but I always had a love for the sport of horse racing. With encouragement, support and interest, becoming a jockey was never in doubt.

Which horse was your first winner?

Princess Irene going over 1,300 metres was my first winner. It was a very exciting feeling to win my first here in Jamaica. I was riding in Barbados where I rode almost 100 winners, but to ride my first winner at home, I felt like I was walking in mid-air, just a wonderful feeling.

Which horse was your longest odds winner?

My longest odds winner was Classic Kelly, trained by Phillip Elliot. Classic Kelly won at 15-1 going over a distance of 1,400 metres. I was very delighted with the win. I was here before and tried the Racing School, but was never given the opportunity to enter. So after three failed attempts, I decided to go to somewhere else and try, because I love racing so much I did not want the desire to die right there. So I went to Barbados to ride, knowing that Jamaica is where I always wanted to ride as a jockey I came back to ride and no matter what or how long the odds are, I just want to win races.

Which is the best horse that you have ridden?

I will have to say Mr Butcher. He is my favourite horse to ride as whenever I am on him, it is like he just does not know how to run a bad race. He is a fighter that doesn’t know how to give up. Despite that the fact he is a claiming horse, he won his races very well. I won nine races on him, the most I have ever won on a single horse. He is special to me.

Which is the best horse that you have seen race at Caymanas Park?

I have seen a lot of talented horses race at Caymanas Park. There were War Zone, who won the triple crown, The Viceroy, which I thought was an exceptional horse, Khadulah was another good one, Eros, who dominated the sprints, Legal Light and Doval to name a few. All of those horses have done great things in their era as their records can show. I cannot pick any one, as all stood out for me. There have been some great champions here.

Who influenced your career the most?

My uncle (Ephraim Hunter) and my father have really been there for me. Their support, encouragement and guidance have got me this far. I would also like to thank all trainers, jockeys, fans, owners, grooms and everyone for their assistance as well.


View the original article here



What They Say! - Richard Lunan