Saturday, January 24, 2015

It’s only the beginning!

BY SHERDON COWAN Observer staff reporter

Sunday, January 11, 2015    

After equalling the world record for the short course 100-metre breaststroke last year, Alia Atkinson has declared that her best is yet to come.  

Atkinson, who started swimming at age four, became the first black woman to win a world swimming title when she won gold at the World Championship in Doha, Qatar.

The 26-year-old declared her intent for the year ahead, as she described the historic performance as just the beginning.

“It has been a long wait for me; decades really, and it has been one of those things that you just have to continue with it. Day in, day out, it’s the dedication and passion that you have, but nobody can do it alone.

“The world record is just the beginning. Thank you very much for believing in me and everything that I have done up till now. But truly it is only the beginning and I am coming,” she said while expressing her gratitude to the GraceKennedy family shortly after arriving at the Government Lounge at Norman Manley International Airport on Friday.         

Atkinson returned home to a hero’s welcome at a reception hosted by her sponsor GraceKennedy Money Services (GKMS). The reception was also used to announce the renewal of her contract as the company’s brand ambassador.

The one-year agreement will position Atkinson as the face of the brand through her inclusion in various marketing activities, including commercials. The financial aspect of the contract was not disclosed.

Atkinson told the gathering that the sponsorship given to her by GraceKennedy Money Services and support from the Jamaican people was the “extra push” she needed.

“The fact is, growing up I had my family and I had my support and it has gotten me to where I was in 2011, but I needed that little extra push. So after 2012 I was extremely grateful for the sponsorship of GraceKennedy Money Services and that sponsorship gave me the confidence to break down barriers,” she said.

“When I am out there in different parts of the world it’s just me, sometimes there is no team, sometimes there is no coach and it’s me walking on the pool deck, one person of colour on the entire pool deck and it can get scary sometimes. But having that support behind me — the Jamaican people, my sponsors that actually believe in me no matter what the outcome was, it’s truly humbling and basically it pushes me to continue forward,” she added.

The sensational swimmer explained that her previous accomplishment is now behind her as she has now turned her focus to the World Championships in Beijing, China.

“I am a stubborn athlete. Yes, I accomplished that, but that was just a title I had and I was moving on to the next one. As everybody else keeps on saying it, then I remember, but my focus is medalling at worlds and breaking some more world records,” she stated.

Atkinson is also on the island to attend the RJR Sports Foundation National Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year award ceremony. She will also be hosting a clinic to pass on her expertise to aspiring swimmers.

“Me going out there and swimming is trying to help put Jamaica swimming on the map [and] trying to help our swimming clinics come about. Basically trying to change that myth that we have,” she noted.

“We just want to share the experience that I have had throughout the years and hopefully bring some knowledge about swimming. But basically inspiring them to keep going and that there is more out there if they just give it a little more time and effort,” the decorated swimmer said.


View the original article here



It’s only the beginning!