Saturday, January 24, 2015

"I made the right choice"

BY SHERDON COWAN Observer staff reporter

Wednesday, January 14, 2015    

“Swimming taught me how to let go, to live, to move on, to control, to enjoy and to give back. But most importantly, swimming taught me how to be a better me.”

These are the words of the vivacious Alia Atkinson, who chose to rise above her predicaments and represent her native country with pride and joy.

Atkinson migrated to the United States of America at age nine and joined the Fort Lauderdale swim club at age 10. She then moved to the Comet Swim Club Pembroke Pines, Florida, at age 13.

Having lived in the land of opportunity for over 17 years, the sensational swimmer, who hails from humble beginnings in Jamaica, admitted that she had a fleeting thought of switching allegiance to the red, white and blue stripes of the United States.

“Yes. I considered swimming for the US, not so much tempted, but it has been a thought that I had,” she revealed.

“I thought about it, especially after college… (because) I didn’t have enough money to go on any one of those big pro teams or to do anything I wanted.

“So I had to go back home and live with my parents and train at the age group club with 14- and 15-year-olds. That’s where my allowance led me,” she told this week’s Jamaica Observer Monday Exchange.

However, the three-time Olympian, two-time world silver medallist and now joint world record holder in the Short Course World Championships 100-metre breaststroke, said she has no regrets.

“It was the right choice (swimming for Jamaica). I defeated US swimmers who were on the national roster for the US team, and they were already getting money just for being on the team and getting paid for all their meets.

“I had to find my money to pay for it. They get suits free because it’s funded by Speedo and here I am paying US$400 and $500 for a suit. So, yeah, it becomes a lot, but I am not upset about that,” she explained.

Last year, Atkinson became the first black woman to win a world swimming title when she swam a scintillating 1:02.36 minutes in the 100-metre breaststroke, equalling the record set by Lithuanian Ruta Meilutyte in 2013.

Hailed as a reluctant celebrity and a gracious role model by her Jamaican supporters, the 26-year-old is now expressing utmost pleasure in wearing the national colours.

“If I had switched and was swimming for the US…when I put on that cap and jump in the pool and I win something and it’s the US flag… it wouldn’t be right… something was wrong in that picture. So it’s the fact that I have a lot more family and support from Jamaica,” she said.

“It’s a privilege swimming for Jamaica. If I had swum for the US it would be solely money-based, but for Jamaica it’s more of an honour and privilege, so I made the better choice,” added the Commonwealth Games silver medallist.

Atkinson believed she was not asked to join the American team because she was not as fast at the start of her career, but as time went by she gradually progressed.

In her senior year at University of Texas A & M, she won the 200-metre breaststroke, giving the university its first NCAA title and in the process became the second black woman to capture an NCAA swim title.

“I was slower at first, so they didn’t really look at me. But as I got older and I started to show up on their radar I was already competing internationally for Jamaica,” she explained.


View the original article here



"I made the right choice"