Sunday, January 25, 2015

The chosen ones

BY RUDDY ALLEN OBSERVER RACING WRITER

Friday, January 23, 2015    

Three female exercise riders, Natalie Berger, Andree Powell and Melissa Ward, are among 17 exercise riders who were chosen by the Jamaica Racing Commission (JRC) to attend the jockeys’ training programme, scheduled to start in February.

Those three females will now have the chance to follow in the footsteps of the country’s only female rider, Georgina Sergeon, who has so far ridden 57 winners at Caymanas Park.

On January 14, these exercise riders were given a chance to demonstrate their skills in what was dubbed the ‘gate test’ which was organised by the JRC who manages the jockeys’ programme for their operations stewards to make a final assessment of the young riders.

The exercise riders were then required to do medicals a riding test, which was held at the Caymanas Polo Club, following which the 17 were selected for enrolment.

Berger, who graduated from Gaynstead High School, said that becoming a jockey is her longtime dream and one which she has been working very hard to attain.

“I am very grateful and happy that I have been selected for the school and I am also happy all three females made it. This shows that even though horse racing is a male-dominated sport, once any female puts her mind towards her dream it can happen.

“I am happy for this opportunity as from I was young girl growing up I wanted to become a jockey. My journey has just begun and I am going to continue to do the hard work,” Berger told the Complete Racing Guide.

“I also want to thank everyone that has supported me through this journey and I will continue to make them proud,” she said.

Powell and Ward were also happy that they were selected to attend the school and both said it was now up to them to put in the hard work to become good jockeys who can get rides and winners.

Linton Steadman, another recuit who was fortunate to be selected, said this is no time for celebrations.

“I am happy that I have been selected to attend the jockeys’ programme as I was really looking forward to it. It is not time to celebrate as yet, as this is just the beginning as I know the real work has just started. I am prepared for the work, I am committed to working hard and I will ensure that at the end of the period I will be a good jockey.

“An opportunity like this comes once in a blue moon and I just want to make good use of it,” Steadman said.

The other exercise riders selected were Oneil Beckford, Dane Dawkins, Odeen Edwards, Cleveland Francis, Ivan Francis, Amoy Gray, Bebeto Harvey, Kemoy Parchment, Hakeem Pottinger, Andre Powell, Oneil Scott and Anthony Thomas.


View the original article here



The chosen ones