Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bolt almost gave up running after being booed in "06

News

Thursday, September 12, 2013

USAIN Bolt has revealed that he came close to giving up sprinting in 2006 when he was booed by Jamaican fans for pulling out of a race injured.The star, who was only 19 at the time, began his leg of a 4×400-metre race at the National Stadium in Kingston, Jamaica, but soon had to stop after pulling his hamstring.As he limped off the track, some home fans decided to boo him. Some even shouted that he’d simply given up because he knew he wasn’t going to win.In an exclusive extract from his new book, Faster Than Lightning: My Autobiography, serialised in The Times, Bolt describes how the incident left him questioning his ability as a top-level sprinter and his desire to continue his promising career.Bolt wrote: “Honestly, I had never imagined a time when a Jamaican crowd — my own people that had cheered me on so loudly when I’d won the World Junior Championships in 2002 — would boo me as I came off the Kingston track.“Forgot the pulled hamstring, this was pain on another level. I was only 19, and the criticism hit me hard.“First of all I questioned my ability: ‘I’m not good enough for this sport…’ I questioned the Jamaican fans: ‘Wow, I got booed in front of my national crowd when I was giving it my best.“Then it got worse: ‘Three years ago I started this life. Three years I’ve been injured. Is this really working? Should I really continue? All these things that I do, no matter how hard I try, this might not be for me. This track-and-field thing is tough…’.Luckily for the world of athletics, a chat with his coach Glen Mills was enough for Bolt to see sense and continue on his way to becoming the world’s fastest man. Daily MailTrack and field star Usain Bolt is a picture of contemplation at a recent press conference overseas.Bolt strikes his famous ‘to di world’ pose after winning the 100-metre dash at the 2013 World Athletic Championships last month in Moscow, Russia. (OBSERVER FILE PHOTOS)

HOUSE RULES


1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.


2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.


3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.


4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.


5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.


6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.


7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by

View the original article here



Bolt almost gave up running after being booed in "06