Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wrongful closure of entire business

Dear Claudienne

I operate a card centre business that had three branches.In January 2012, the mobile unit of the Companies of Jamaica visited Santa Cruz and I utilised its services.At the mobile unit I made a request to have two of the card centre branches closed, leaving one in operation. I paid $4,700 and on the receipt it stated: (“amount for BN1 renewal, 2BN6 and late fee”).When my accountant went to collect the certificate for the branch of the business that was to remain open, some time after, he was informed that Companies of Jamaica could not find the certificate. When my accountant showed them the receipt, they told him that all my businesses had been closed.I then asked what the BN1 renewal on the receipt meant and was told that it was an error.In January of this year the mobile unit returned to Santa Cruz and I was again told that all three branches of the business had been closed by Companies of Jamaica.Again I produced my receipt. The clerk called the office in Kingston and they informed him that I should write a letter and pay $1,300, which I did.However, up to now I have not received the certificate. Instead I was told that I would have to do a re-registration at a cost. The agency has not addressed the $4,700 that I paid in January 2012, which included a renewal fee, or the $1,300 I paid in January this year.Please investigate the matter for me, as I think it unfair and unjust for them to require me to pay for their error.CDDear CDWe asked the Companies of Jamaica CEO to investigate your complaint. She advised Tell Claudienne that the branch of your business that you wished to remain open was closed in error. She said that the BN5 form should be submitted when a request is being made to close the branch of a business. However, you submitted the BN6 form that indicated that the entire business was to be closed. The clerk should have explained to you what the different forms meant, she said.The CEO said that in the interest of good customer relations she would call and ask you to submit a new business registration form. She said that the re-registration would be done at no additional cost to you. Your application would also be expedited, but you would not be required to pay the fee for the express service.We note that the CEO called and told you how to download the form. She said that as soon as you submit the form they will send you the registration certificate.Good luck.Dear ClaudienneI seek your help with a situation with the NWC, as I have not been able to have this matter settled.The NWC installed a new meter at my premises earlier this year, but no one was at home when it was done and I was not notified of the change that was to take place. I only realised that there was a new meter when I got home one evening and found out that there was no water in the house. We have a pipe in the front yard that sometimes provides water when the water pressure is low in the house. It was only when I went to check that pipe that I discovered that the meter was changed and that the water was turned off from the meter.I called the NWC the following day and when I complained that I had not been notified that the meter was being changed, they apologised. They said that a notification letter should have been placed in my letter box.I informed them that where the meter was placed in a small drain in front of the weep hole was not the ideal location. I told them that I feared that there would be a problem with the meter later on.I was told that a private contractor had done the job and he would be asked to return. I also wrote a letter to the NWC and stated my concerns.A contractor did come a few days later, and he said that where the meter was placed was all right and the rain water would not affect it. I pointed out to him that when it rained the meter was totally covered by a very heavy volume of water.I have noticed that my bills are substantially increased after heavy rains. Normally I get a bill for $1,000 monthly, but after it rains I get water bills of more than $3,000 monthly.I would like the meter to be relocated.BFDear BFTell Claudienne advised you what to do and note that the NWC has now relocated your meter to higher ground. You said, however, that because the relocation was done recently, you have not been able to establish whether the previous location of the meter caused your bill to increase after heavy rains. Please keep us informed of your findings.Good luck.Have a problem with a store, utility, a company: telephone 936-9436 or write to: Tell Claudienne c/o Sunday Finance, Jamaica Observer, 40-42 1/2 Beechwood Avenue, Kingston 5; or e-mail: edwardsc@jamaicaobserver.com. Please include a contact phone number.

HOUSE RULES


1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.


2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.


3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.


4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.


5. Please don’t use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:mailto:advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.


6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.


7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy

comments powered by

View the original article here



Wrongful closure of entire business